With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy, I propose that as the name for the “Guide to Bad Homilies” as proposed by Waiting for Godot to Leave, especially because each one of the 10 items ends with Foxworthy’s familiar formula. For example:
1. JESUS WAS NICE - YOU BE NICE TOO
This is the homily we usually hear in our suburban parishes. Love = quiescene / Fighting for what you love = evil. If this theme describes what you’re hearing … it might be a bad homily.
He’s soliciting more entries, although I think the ones he has now are right on the money. Here are the rest of the titles and you can go there to read the descriptions:
3. DON’T GET IT WRONG, BUT DON’T GET IT RIGHT ENOUGH.
4. SHECKY GREEN PRESENTS
5. IT’S ALL ABOUT ME
6. SLOWNESS = PIETY
7. AND NOW A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR
8. WE’RE JUST FINE, THANK YOU
9. I HAVE SO MUCH LEARNING I’M PRACTICALLY AN ATHEIST. JOIN ME, WON’T YOU?
10. THE INDEFINABLE MALAISE