The following 12 quotes come from the writings of St. Peter Damian, a great ascetic and monk who was especially troubled by the clergy and religious of his time who failed in their duties, especially celibacy. Think of them as a year of monthly intentions for the US bishops to meditate upon in reparation for the Scandal:
- “Tell us, you unmanly and effeminate man, what do you seek in another male that you do not find in yourself?”
- “For God’s sake, why do you damnable sodomites pursue the heights of ecclesiastical dignity with such fiery ambition?”
- “By what right or by what law can one bind or loose the other when he is constrained by the bonds of evil deeds common to them both?”
- “Who can expect the flock to prosper when its shepherd has sunk so deep into the bowels of the devil?
- “Who, by his lust, will consign a son whom he spiritually begotten for God to slavery under the iron law of Satanic tyranny?”
- “This utterly diseased queen of Sodom renders him who obeys the laws of her tyranny infamous to men and odious to God.”
- “Without fail, [the vice of sodomy] brings death to the body and destruction to the soul. It pollutes the flesh, extinguishes the light of the mind, expels the Holy Spirit from the temple of the human heart, and gives entrance to the devil, the stimulator of lust.”
- ”[The vice of sodomy] leads to error, totally removes truth from the deluded mind . . . It opens up Hell and closes the gates of Paradise.”
- ”[The vice of sodomy] is this vice that violates temperance, slays modesty, strangles chastity, and slaughters virginity.”
- [The vice of sodomy] defiles all things, sullies all things, pollutes all things.”
- “Who will make a mistress of a cleric, or a woman of a man?”
- “It is not sinners, but the wicked who should despair; it is not the magnitude of one’s crime, but contempt of God that dashes one’s hopes.”
Of course, having criticized homosexuality in public—or published the writings of a saint who criticized it—I will now be accused of being a secret, self-hating closeted homosexual and the rest of the brownshirt psychobabble. But then I suppose that would make my critics secret, self-hating closet conservatives. But then… I better stop before I get into a paradox loop.