Here’s the official list of titular churches for the new cardinals:
- Cardinal William Joseph Levada, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith: diaconate of St. Mary in Domnica.
- Cardinal Franc Rode C.M., prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life: diaconate of St. Francis Xavier at Garbatella.
- Cardinal Agostino Vallini, prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura: diaconate of St. Peter Damian ai Monti di San Paolo.
- Cardinal Jorge Liberato Urosa Savin, archbishop of Caracas, Venezuela: title of St. Mary ai Monti.
- Cardinal Gaudencio B. Rosales, archbishop of Manila, Philippines: title of the Most Holy Name of Mary in Via Latina.
- Cardinal Jean-Pierre Ricard, archbishop of Bordeaux, France: title of St. Augustine.
- Cardinal Antonio Canizares Llovera, archbishop of Toledo, Spain: title of St. Pancras.
- Cardinal Nicholas Cheong Jinsuk, archbishop of Seoul, Korea: title of Mary Immaculate of Lourdes at Boccea.
- Cardinal Sean Patrick O’Malley O.F.M. Cap., archbishop of Boston, U.S.A.: title of St. Mary della Vittoria.
- Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz archbishop of Krakow, Poland: title of St. Mary del Popolo.
- Cardinal Carlo Caffarra, archbishop of Bologna, Italy: title of St. John the Baptist of the Florentines.
- Cardinal Joseph Zen Ze-kiun S.D.B., bishop of Hong Kong, China: title of St. Mary Mother of the Redeemer at Tor Bella Monaca.
- Cardinal Andrea Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo, archpriest of the Basilica of St. Paul’s Outside-the-Walls: diaconate of St. Mary in Portico.
- Cardinal Peter Poreku Dery, archbishop emeritus of Tamale, Ghana: diaconate of St. Helena fuori Porta Prenestina.
- Cardinal Albert Vanhoye S.J., formerly rector of the Pontifical Biblical Institute and secretary of the Pontifical Biblical Commission: diaconate of St. Mary of Mercy and St. Adrian at Villa Albani.
What does titular church mean and why are some cardinals called deacons and what not? Here’s a brief explanation from a post last year I wrote on papal election and succession.
The college has three ranks: cardinal-bishop, cardinal-priest, cardinal-deacon. Cardinal-bishops are both the cardinals to whom the pope assigns the title of a suburbicarian church, that is those dioceses nearest to Rome, and the Eastern-rite patriarchs who are members of the college.
... The suburbicarian cardinal-bishops are members of the Curia and include the Dean of the college, currently Ratzinger, and the Vice-dean, currently Sodano.
Cardinal-priests and cardinal-deacons are assigned titular churches within the diocese of Rome and they all become symbolically part of the clergy of Rome. Cardinal-priests are ordinaries of their own dioceses, while cardinal-deacons are of the Roman curia or other non-diocesan bishops.
The dean of the college has the authority to ordain to the episcopate the man elected to become pope, if required. The first cardinal-deacon, by order of precedence, has the duty of announcing the name of a new pope.
Technorati Tags: cardinal, Catholic, consistory, vatican