Eileen McNamara joins the parade of misleading facts

Eileen McNamara joins the parade of misleading facts

Just so that last week’s tiny blurb about female victims of clergy sex abuse complaining about the Instruction doesn’t get lost in the shuffle, the Boston Globe‘s Eileen McNamara devotes her column to it.

McNamara takes the same falsehoods and misleading information and expands it, without bothering to do any, you know, research.

The Vatican directive issued last week that would ban most gay men from the priesthood has been widely interpreted as Rome’s response to the worldwide clergy sex abuse scandal that has left especially deep scars on the Archdiocese of Boston. Can that be right?

If it’s been widely interpreted that way, then that interpretation is wrong. The Instruction is a response to a problem in the priesthood. It is not meant as an all-encompassing reform of the priesthood addressing every issue and problem that has arisen. It is a document that has been in the making for nearly a decade and while the Scandal has some bearing on it, it is not the only reason for it.

Written by
Domenico Bettinelli
1 comment
  • What Ms. Dwyer is ignoring is that if the problems in the priesthood are, in fact, addressed then, in fact, there will also be less abuse of girls.  If priests are exercising their true spiritual paternity then they will have a fatherly reaction to wickedness around them and will report it.  They might even bust a few chops if you will pardon the expression. 

    As far as I have been told, 90% of abuse in the world, not the church alone, is committed by someone known by the victim.  Does that mean that the other 10% wouldn’t be helped by changing various environments to make them safer?  In the only case I know of stranger abuse the abuser was clearly waiting in a place where he could stalk children, get to know them, etcetera.  The case I know of just happened to walk into this ugly situation but she definitely wasn’t either his first or very probably his last.  If the community had been on the lookout this guy would have had to operate elsewhere.

Archives

Categories

Categories